Have you found yourself focusing on some scary what ifs? lately? In a climate of change, many people are fearing the worst. What if I lose my job? What if we can’t pay our bills? What if I have to go back to work waiting tables?
I was talking to my Personal Coach the other day about some of my own concerns and she challenged me to play the What If? Game!
Here is how it works:
- Take a sheet of paper and write out all the scary what ifs?. Really admit to yourself exactly what you are afraid might happen. If you have a partner, it would be really powerful to do this together.
- Allow yourself to feel all the feelings that go with the scary what ifs? and acknowledge the reasons you have these fears.
- Then take the page and burn it, shred it, send into oblivion.
- Then take a new, fresh page. Right out all the other what ifs?. You know the ones that are also possible… What if you get a raise? What if you have a new idea in your business and your clients love it? What if every day is filled with the joy of being with your kids and you find more supportive connections in your community?
- Allow yourself to feel what your life would be like if these possibilities were true!
- Then, challenge yourself every day to take an action, however small, towards making these reality.
You see, we don’t really know the future. Unless you are way more psychic than me, you don’t know what could happen in your life. Yes, maybe some of the scary what ifs?. But also maybe some of the really positive ones. And the thing is, I believe that where ever you focus your attention, your creative energy follows. If you don’t know what might happen, why not focus on what you would love to have happen?
I am not suggesting you sink into denial or become an overly positive, head-in-the-clouds person. I think you can be very grounded and also keep your attention focused on the possibilities by being present with the every day, current reality of your life while moving towards your intentions.
So, go ahead. Play the What If? Game!